I worked in Kodiak for a week doing clinic, obstetrics, and inpatient medicine. I had the unexpected privilege of supervising a family medicine resident as well who turned out to be a great workout buddy, hiker, and competent physician to boot.
 |
| view from the B&B I stayed at |
I had never been to Kodiak before, and one of the fun parts of this locums life is getting to see new places! I was on call most of the week but was able to go for a few hikes close to town and explore a little bit. The sun came out most days, which is fairly unusual.
The scenery in Kodiak reminds me of a cross between Juneau and the Aleutian islands. The mountains don't have many trees on them, but there is still a lot of rain and the harbor looks like many towns in Southeast Alaska.
 |
| sign at the airport for the rental car- check out the warning on the right |
Work in Kodiak was varied, and I had a calm week which made things manageable. I was responsible for all patients admitted to the hospital for the group I was working with, as well as anyone who came in to deliver a baby. I literally had the spectrum of cradle-to-grave that week with a death and a birth, and a bit of everything in between.
I worked in the clinic in between seeing patients at the hospital and took calls from the outlying smaller clinics staffed by mid-levels or community health aides. The system reminded me a lot of Bethel, where you have to decide if someone can come in by private airplane, what time the commercial flights are running, how much medical care can be provided over the phone in the village, and whether someone needs to be sent out to Anchorage, often without being able to see the patient yourself.
 |
| view on a hike up the mountain next to town |
One of the highlights of my time in Kodiak was getting to see a few of my medical school classmates and catch up after not seeing them for 5 years. It felt like no time had passed, until we talked about their children and realized the little girl who was 3 years old when we started medical school is now a teenager!!
Kodiak- a beautiful town full of adventures to be had.
No comments:
Post a Comment