Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Locums life- Seward, Alaska

Seward is a beautiful town. Quiet in the winter, busier in the summer with cruise ships and Alaskan tourists here for fishing, kayaking, and hiking. It is famous for a 4th of July running race up a mountain called Mount Marathon and for the Sea Life Center where marine mammals are rehabilitated and showcased.




I'm working at the hospital in the emergency room which also includes a few inpatient beds. I'm the only doctor on during my 24 hour shift, with another doctor on backup call (within 20 minutes of the hospital) to help if needed.


The friendliness of the community, the stunning natural beauty which reminds me of Southeast Alaska, and the supportiveness of the other medical staff help compensate for the stress of being the only physician in the hospital. Sometimes it's nice just to bounce an idea off a colleague, and here I don't have that luxury.

I've worked here now in the winter and in the summer and both are delightful. It is a small town. Each time I am here I see people outside the hospital and have difficulty remembering where I know them from- a patient? a patient's family member? a friend from Anchorage? a staff member from the hospital?

If there is no one in the emergency room, I can walk to my favorite coffee shop down the block and get a latte. I look forward to running after work and have a couple of routes mapped out incorporating trails or waterfront views.  And because it is on the road system, sometimes friends even come visit from Anchorage! 

No comments:

Post a Comment